Lawyers' Professional Liability Policy Highlights
Exciting New Enhancement added to the Pennsylvania Bar Association Professional Liability Insurance Program
The Pennsylvania Bar Association Lawyers’ Professional Liability Insurance program is excited to announce the latest Risk Management policy enhancement. All CNA LPL policies in the state of Pennsylvania will now include the following coverage regarding Engagement letters:
If the Insured utilized an engagement letter in connection with the legal services that are the subject of a claim, and such claim is otherwise covered under the Policy, then the Insured’s deductible applying to such claim will be reduced by 50%, provided that the engagement letter:
- a. includes, at a minimum, the following information:
- i. a specific description of the scope of legal services to be performed by the Insured;
- ii. the identity of all clients for whom the Insured agreed to perform such legal services;
- iii. the fee arrangement for such legal services; and
- iv. a description of the Named Insured’s file retention and destruction policy; and
- b. was signed by all clients identified in such engagement letter prior to the Insured’s commencement of representation of such clients for the legal services described in the engagement letter, but in no event more than thirty (30) days after the commencement of such representation.
In no event shall the amount of the deductible waived hereunder exceed $25,000.
Additional Highlights of the Professional Liability program:
- 5% Bar Association membership credit. This 5% credit will be applied to your Lawyers' Professional Liability Policy premium for membership in the Pennsylvania Bar Association, on a per attorney basis.
- 7.5% risk control credit per attorney for two years after taking a qualifying CNA risk management seminar
- CNA is an “A Rated” national leader in Lawyers’ Professional Liability insurance, providing coverage to more than 44,000 law firms in the United States. With more than 50 years of experience, they deliver world class underwriting, dedicated claims and state-of-the-art risk management tools and resources.
- Comprehensive coverage and policy features tailored to meet the unique requirements of law firms in Pennsylvania, with continuous coverage, full prior acts available and your written consent required before CNA can settle a claim. From solo attorneys to large firms, USI Affinity and CNA can design coverage to protect all size law practices.
Coverage Features Include:
- Limits of Liability up to $10M per claim/$10M aggregate
- Insured’s written consent required to settle a claim
- Continuous coverage provision
- Non-cancellable except for non-payment of premium
- Full prior acts coverage available
- Supplementary payments for disciplinary proceedings ($50,000/$100,000)
- Discrimination Complaint Coverage ($25,000)
- Supplementary payments for loss of earnings ($500/$50,000 per insured)
- Reduced deductible for early claim resolution
- Assistance in responding to a subpoena (unlimited)
- Privacy Event ($10,000/$20,000) and Public Relations Event ($25,000/$50,000)
- Supplemental claim expense benefit, excess of the limit of liability